VIDEO. A man attacks his former girlfriend with a machete near Toulouse: what we know about the attack

the essential
Charles, a 37-year-old man, is suspected of attempted murder. He attacked his ex-girlfriend and his new lover with a machete. The facts took place on Monday in Saint-Orens-de-Gameville, south-east of Toulouse. At the beginning of November, this individual had already been placed in police custody for violence committed against this woman.

“Célia (1) had a bloody face when she entered my store. She thought she was going to die this morning”, testifies a shopkeeper from Saint-Orens-de-Gameville, south-east of Toulouse. “I experienced the horror, it’s hard to imagine this scene”, continues this woman. His voice is full of emotions. She points to a Peugeot 307, loaded on a tow truck, and continues her story. “He ran into the bar,” she adds, still energized.

This Monday morning, around 9 a.m., Célia, an employee of the Saint-Ô bistro, was drinking her coffee with her new boyfriend when the unthinkable happened. “On leaving the establishment, his partner narrowly avoided a collision with a car. Inside, it was Celia’s ex-boyfriend. And he came out with a machete”, continues the bar manager .

He mutilates himself

The assailant struck his ex-concubine for the first time in the skull, before giving another blow to the back and to the hip. Her lover was hit in the leg.

Charles, this is the first name of the assailant, then took refuge inside the restaurant, equipped with a can of gasoline. “He set fire and began to mutilate himself in the throat. Obviously, he was determined to commit suicide,” adds the owner of the place, pointing to the traces of blood still present at the entrance to the bar. But the rapid intervention of the municipal police, the firefighters and then the gendarmes of the Villefranche-de-Lauragais company made it possible to avoid the worst.

Both victims were taken care of in time. As for Charles, he was transported to the hospital in a very serious condition. This 37-year-old man has bled a lot but his life would be out of danger on Monday afternoon.

After the facts, the prosecution immediately opened an investigation for attempted murder. Investigations entrusted to the research brigade of the Villefranche-de-Lauragais company. While waiting to be able to place the suspect in police custody, the soldiers will certainly get down to drawing up his psychiatric profile.

According to the testimonies of several inhabitants, Charles grew up in this city, before leaving for the Pyrénées-Orientales. “He came back here a few months ago. At the end of the summer, he separated from Célia. This breakup made him lose control,” says a client of the bistro.

A precedent in November

At the beginning of November, this thirty-year-old had already assaulted Celia. “She was driving with her daughter in her car when Charles ran over her. Very shaken by this episode, she filed a complaint immediately”, recalls the manager of Saint-O.

At the beginning of the month, Charles was indeed placed in police custody at the Balma brigade, before being referred to the Toulouse prosecutor’s office. But according to our information, for lack of sufficient evidence, the magistrates had not imprisoned him. He left free while waiting to be tried in early 2023. “Célia was very afraid for his life. This time I hope he will go to prison and get treatment,” says a friend of the victim.

(1) first name changed

A psychological cell

Following this tragedy, the SAMU will be on duty this Wednesday, November 23 from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., at the annex town hall of Saint-Orens-de-Gameville, 46 avenue de Gameville. “This approach will make it possible to support people confronted with this traumatic event”, specifies the municipality.

(1) The first name has been changed

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *