the IGPN displays calls for witnesses at the scene of the events

The General Inspectorate of the National Police (IGPN) posted calls for witnesses on Thursday June 9 at the scene of the refusal to comply denounced by the police who fired on a car, resulting in the shooting death of a passenger, said noted a journalist from franceinfo on the spot. “We are looking for all the people who were on the scene at the time of the events”specify the posters.

>> Paris: what we know about the death of a passenger in a car, shot and killed by police denouncing a refusal to comply

“As part of an investigation into the facts of intentional violence resulting in death without intention to give it with the use of a weapon by a person holding public authority, any person in possession of information or videos of the facts is invited to contact the investigating service by e-mail”writes the IGPN which communicates the address igpn75-enquetes@interieur.gouv.fr.

The call for witnesses broadcast in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, June 9, 2022. (THIBAULT DELMARLE / RADIO FRANCE)

For his part, the man suspected of having refused to comply will be presented to a judge on Thursday June 9 with a view to his possible indictment, franceinfo learned from his lawyer.

The police custody of the 38-year-old man was lifted this Thursday morning “with a view to opening a judicial investigation” for “attempted intentional homicide on a person holding public authority”, “refusal to “aggravated compliance”, “driving a vehicle despite an order to return his driving license”, “recidivism of driving having used narcotics and under the influence of an alcoholic state”, specifies the Paris prosecutor’s office at franceinfo.

Late Saturday morning, police opened fire on a vehicle which they said was refusing to comply. The 21-year-old front-seat passenger died the following day from her head injuries. The driver was seriously injured in the chest. He saw his state of health improve and had been placed in police custody on Tuesday for in particular “attempted homicide on a person holding public authority”. Still hospitalized, the driver will be heard by a judge in hospital.

Judicial information was opened on Tuesday against the three police officers who fired on the car and emerged free from their custody at the IGPN to allow “continuation of investigations”. These, led by an investigating judge, must take place on the basis of the study of video surveillance images of the street and of RATP buses, as well as on these calls for witnesses launched by the IGPN at the request from the prosecution. The family of Inès, a surviving passenger, and the collective “Urgence notre police assassinate” have also each launched a call for witnesses.

In a testimony given to franceinfo, one of the passengers in the car believes that the driver was “at fault” but remains convinced that the police did not “not able to keep a cool head”. The police lawyer, Laurent-Franck Liénard, affirms that this testimony “is not not consistent with the objective elements of the file”.

This affair revived the question of the use of force by the police in the midst of the legislative campaign and fueled a new pass of arms between the head of rebellious France Jean-Luc Mélenchon and in particular the Minister of the Interior Gérald Darmanin.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.