Are scented candles dangerous for health?

Are scented candles dangerous for health?
They can have a counterproductive effect

Whether in winter or summer, scented candles leave a pleasant smell in our interiors. The smell of scented candle can have positive effects on our well-being. However, the particles of the latter, which persist even once the wax has been consumed, can have serious risks for health and the body.

Certain carcinogenic components

If scented candles are made the right way and burn cleanly, they are safe, according to the American Candle Association. But it is not because they smell good that they clean up your interior, on the contrary.

Some components may be carcinogenic. Most inexpensive candles are made with paraffin. However, the latter is obtained with petroleum residues. Needless to say, burning oil can be dangerous. But there are also harmful materials in the wick and perfumes. Whether it is vanilla, red fruit or lavender candles, often synthetic fragrances are used. For example, in candles with citrus scents, limonene is used. When the latter comes into combustion, it can irritate the mucous membranes and becomes toxic.

An irritating gas is released

Scented candles can have a counterproductive effect and make the interior even more polluted. This is related to the fact that most of us do not follow the instructions for use. Depending on the candles, check on the packaging, combustion should not exceed 1 hour to 2 hours, or 4 hours for others. Moreover, theCombustion releases methane, a gas which can be irritating when inhaled. Sensitive people, i.e. children, the elderly, or asthmatics, are particularly at risk.

How to use them well?

To limit the risks and enjoy the benefits of scented candles without danger, certain rules must be observed. First, take the time to read the manual. To avoid accidents, avoid placing the candle near a textile, such as curtains, tea towels or sheets. We also take care to keep them away from children and animals and to let them burn without supervision.

In addition, we avoid lighting them every day and we ventilate after having extinguished them to get the gases out. In addition, it is best to turn to natural candles, beeswax or essential oils. Admittedly, they are more expensive, but do not contain chemicals.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *